November 25, 2008

A Great Weekend in Taiping

Right after the Trinity concert on Friday night, we drove to Taiping in the middle of the night and arrived in Taiping past midnight. To be exact we arrived in Taiping at about 12.15 am. It's a blessing I know the roads in Taiping quite well, if not we would have taken a much longer time figuring the roads to reach our destination. We were put up in Kama Lodge near the foot hills of Maxwell Hills. I want to thank my aunty and uncle in Taiping who put us up in this comfortable and relaxing place. 

 

Kama Lodge ( A recommended place to stay when in Taiping )

 

 

IMG_8773 (Large)

IMG_8777 (Large)

Kama Lodge Taiping

 

The next morning once we got up I finally managed to meet all my relatives, some which I've not met for a long time from Singapore. I even referred to some of them as uncles and they reminded me that not to call them uncle as I was their cousins...so malu. At around 11am, we headed for the wedding ceremony. During the ceremony Sharon and I were given the first chance to actually "drink tea" served by my cousin and cousin in law, what an honor. We really had a great time there meeting up with relatives and also joking around and playing.

IMG_9095 (Large)

Her name is Money and she's part of the family...

IMG_9098 (Large)

Queuing up to give Ang Pow

 IMG_9102 (Large)

First time "Lim Teh"

IMG_9109 (Large)

Singapore Relatives hanging around

 IMG_9117 (Large)

Having our makan

IMG_9112 (Large)

Bride and Groom with family

IMG_9130 (Large) 

Say "Roti"

 

Once we have finished the ceremony at my cousin's place we headed for a tour around Taiping. We drove to a place called Matang and Kuala Sepetang. It's about 30 mins drive from Taiping town. On the way there I was frantically searching for a petrol pump to refuel my car, to my surprise there was none to be found, until we asked the locals. We followed the instructions of the locals and we were quite surprised to see the petrol pump without any brand name like the ones we see on the roads like Shell, Caltex, Esso or Petronas. There wasn't any  names to the petrol pump, all we saw were 2 pumps operated by some local Chinese man.

IMG_9136 (Large)

Petrol Station in Kuala Sepetang

 

Next we went to some mangrove swamp which has a long bridge which ran through it which allowed us to walk into the mangrove swamp and experience the Lord's creation. This was really a geographical lesson for many of us. The roots of the mangrove trees were wonderfully shaped with all the roots hanging above ground..interesting indeed.

IMG_9141 (Large) IMG_9142 (Large)

Posing with the mangrove trees

Next we headed to the Kuala Sepetang town, a small fishing village. We managed to get a glimpse of a fisherman's life. On the way back we stopped at a small stall right in the middle of the town and had some ice kacang and Laksa. According to the locals it's one of the best laksa around. Well in my opinion Penang Laksa is still better. Before heading back to Taiping we stopped one last time at a charcoal factory. Unfortunately I wasn't able to capture any pictures because my camera battery died at that point.

Shots from Kuala Sepetang

IMG_9152 (Large)

Fishing boats in Kuala Sepetang

IMG_9156 (Large)

The real Laksa shack

IMG_9159 (Large) IMG_9161 (Large)

IMG_9165 (Large) 

Overall we had ourselves a very good trip. Thanks once again to my relatives in Taiping......and remember ROTI!!!

2 comments:

kashvin said...

great info guys

Extreme Power said...

Good one. Kamal lodge got wifi?
tks